Thursday, January 6, 2011

Week One in De Queen

My Mom, myself and Teddy left Hurricane at 5:30am last Friday morning and some 30 hours and several caffeinated drinks later we arrived in De Queen, Arkansas. We could have made the same day but we ran into some severe thunder storms in Forrest City, Arkansas which forced us to find a hotel.
We got here about 11:30 am Saturday morning and 20 men from the church along with about a half dozen woman greeted us and unloaded our truck. A truck that it took Randy Tucker, Troy Cleland and myself about 6 hours to load was empty in 10 minutes. The church here had bought at least $100 worth of food so we would not have to go shopping right away. Alicia Tatum, the youth minister's wife, fixed a "New Years" supper. What a blessing Saturday was! I thought to myself, "even if I stay here 20 years this might be my best day in De Queen" at least till Debi get here.
Sunday morning class I started a series on "The Parables of Christ." The feedback was wonderful. If you attend church at Hurricane you have heard and maybe slept through my WDJD (What Did Jesus Do) series. That's what started with here in De Queen. You can't go wrong talking about Christ. The love that was shown to me Sunday morning as folks exited the build was amazing. Following Sunday Worship my Mom and I had lunch with Elder Gene Clowers and his family at his home. The food was great and to top it off Gene has Direct TV and I got to see my Steelers clobber the Browns.
Monday night they have something here called "Monday for the Master." After we ate 47 Christians, young and old made 29 visits. I have never seen anything like it! Several woman and youngsters that came made cards for the nursing home, shut ins and a folks they hadn't seen for a while. I was in awe as I sat back and watched this take place. Whatever is said about the folks in De Queen it can not be said they do not care about hurting and the lost.
Tuesday I got to help with the "Golden Agers." What a joy! It reminded me so much of working with wonderful people like Paul & Kitty Selan, Lee Prichard, Garnett Harless and so many others.
Wednesday I got to go make about 9 visits with Greg Revels and Bobby Tatum. Greg is one the youngest Elders I have worked with and is a CPA in town. Every Wednesday he and Bobby go to the nursing home in town and spread joy to people who don't get to see alot of joy. Bobby is my partner in crime and we have clicked together even from the time I interviewed in De Queen. Bobby loves people and it shows in everything he says and does. Working with him is one of the reasons I accepted the position in De Queen.
That brings us to Thursday. Took Mom to the airport and she flew home today. Got to spend sometime with my good friends Jim & Mandy Gardner today in Benton. We are making plans to see each other a lot more. Mandy can't wait for Debi to get here. So now I'm back home. The house seems a little emptier this evening. Teddy and I are just kicked back on the couch. Having Mom here this week was wonderful, I think she enjoyed De Queen and I know the people here enjoyed her. I will miss her and Dad greatly but I know this is where God wants me to be. I miss many things about WV (not the weather, it was 63 here today!) I love you all!
T

No comments:

Post a Comment