Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm An Arkansan

This Friday will make 2 weeks into my journey to Arkansas and other than missing the people back in Wild-Wonderful greatly it is going fantastic. I haven’t had much time to get homesick between the work of the church here in De Queen and the amazing hospitality I’ve been shown. I can count the meals I have had to cook for myself on one hand and there is abundance of people wanting to watch football with my despite my black, gold and green wardrobe.
The parsonage in De Queen doubles as a youth house so I have 25 or so teens in my temporary home every Wednesday night. I LOVE IT! I get to eat and socialize with them before I head to the church building to teach my class on the book James. They are kind to let aging 46 year old pulpit minister have a good time with them. It reminds me so much of my Family Minister days at Hurricane although the Youth Minister here, Bobby Tatum, is better with young people than I ever was. Teddy loves having all the teens around he is the center of attention. The picture of me is one Bobby took when we visited a Mexican store today. I would have made a terrible cowboy!
This past weekend De Queen got more snow than they had gotten in 7 years, guess who got blamed  J
Everyone freaked out and they closed the state of Arkansas on Monday. Tuesday I went and got my Arkansas drivers license and car tags. It was so much better than the DMV experience in West Virginia and much cheaper. Anyway, the lady at the Assessors Office said that made it official, I told her you could take the boy out of the hills but you couldn't take the hills out of the boy.

I have gotten nothing but encouragement about my preaching and teaching. There are several school teachers in this church family but they seem to be willing to forgive my butchering of the English language. As a matter of fact, the whole church family seems to have a single focus on loving each other and loving others which how Jesus said we would know his people. And maybe these 2 verses sum up my first two weeks in De Queen, Arkansas best John 13:34-35 says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

I LOVE ALL OF YOU,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment