Sunday, December 19, 2010

Goodbye

Since having submitted my resignation 4 month ago I have been praying about what God would have me share this last time together? I have also spent the last 4 months reflecting on our nearly 10 years together as your minister and 38 years together with of you as a part of this church family. Add to this that I have even taken a spiritual assessment of my life and you can see I have much on my mind.

How is my faith different after more than 9 years together? I’m know I’m a better minister because of my time here with you and I hope you feel you are a better follower of Christ after your time we me.
How has my Christian walk been affected? I have learned so much, I hope you have. I have made mistakes, been knocked down but ultimately I now realize I was being prepared and molded for a different path in God’s plan. This church family was being prepared as well.

My final conclusion—I am humbled. Humbled that God allowed me to grow up in a great place like Hurricane WV. Humbled that he gave me such amazing parents. Humbled that he placed me in this church family nearly 4 decades ago. Humbled He blessed me with a wonderful wife and family. And now humbled to be a small part in God’s plan in another part of the Kingdom. Thank you for love and respect that you have shown me over the last 4 months.

I think God would have me share this with you today. The Lord God is sovereign. Everything about Him, including His plan.
Psalm 103:19 says, “The Lord has set his throne in heaven, and his kingship has dominion over all.” I hope that you believe that God is sovereign and that you live your life that way. Because a Christian that is not willing to submit to the total and absolute sovereignty of God, is like an actor that cannot act, or a singer that cannot sing. A Christian who is not humble before God is like a person who will not pay his bills or his debts. God’s plan for our lives is sovereign as well. God’s plan for my life, your life, God's plan for this church family and the church family in De Queen, Arkansas. ALL SOVEREIGN!
God has not left anyone behind, left anyone out or forgotten anyone.
Live for God each day and you will be in His plan. 

There are many ways to say goodbye. Many quotes, some may be thinking “Don’t let the door hit you in the rear end!” :) But my favorites are “don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” That's from Dr.Seuss, one of my favorite places to find sermon material. The other is a quote from the musical Anne. “How blessed I am to have had something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” HOW TRUE!  I love you guys! Goodbye! We will see each other again!

No comments:

Post a Comment